Bahrain has always been a beacon of progress. The Kingdom, for decades, has been a natural economic and technological hub for the region. From the First Oil well back in 1932 and the first GCC country to have an international airport to being the leading financial center in the 1980’s.
It is a strong driving force for startups locally and regionally. The Kingdom of Bahrain is one of the leading countries in the Middle East with a highly skilled workforce. With a large population of university graduates from Computer Science and Information technology, 53% of the ICT workforce in Bahrain is comprised of a highly educated, bilingual local workforce. Primed for Innovation, Bahrain serves as the ideal testing ground for new products due to its small, multicultural population within a region with one of the highest mobile and internet penetration levels in the world.
Bahrain Vision 2030 also incorporates youth development supporting and developing talented youths throughout the course of their education.
With the initiative of Startup Bahrain and other governmental endeavours, and fast becoming known as Silicon Island, the Kingdom is attuned to entrepreneurial needs; particularly those in the online and FinTech arenas.
Many large ICT companies are choosing to take advantage of Bahrain’s favorable business environment and to base their regional headquarters here:
Bahrain is also the Middle East’s most liberal information, communications and technology (ICT) market, with the strongest infrastructure as well as:
- Best access to high-growth Gulf market
- Robust track record, with forward-looking plans for technology and broadband infrastructure development
- 0% taxation, no free zone restrictions
- 100% foreign ownership
- Low cost of operation and living
- No restrictions imposed on Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP)
- Excellent test ground for products due to small, diverse population
- Active US Free Trade Agreement enables highly credible intellectual property legislation
- One of the region’s highest mobile and Internet penetration rates.